Sometimes I get an overwhelming desire for chicken tacos. It’s all consuming and they become all I can think about until I stuff my face with them.
Case in point: last Friday I was doing my usual grocery shopping. Everett was asleep in his stroller and I was leisurely browsing in Whole Foods…because I love Whole Foods. I’m checking out a cheese melter thingy that I’ll never use and never buy because it’s thirty-seven dollars and I can melt my own cheese and…the taco craving hit. Hard.
I quickly gathered the rest of the items on my grocery list and headed home. Except when I got there, the baby woke up. Which is okay, because he’s really cute and sometimes I think my heart will explode because I love him so much.
So I fed him, impatiently. Silently imploring my kid to hurry the hell up so I could make some chicken tacos. I’m like, a really good mom. I promise I love my kid more than tacos. But they’re in my top five for sure.
So my point is – by the time I’m done feeding my son I am RAVENOUS for tacos. I can think of nothing else. Thank God these take less than fifteen minutes to make.
Some key points about these amazing tacos, other than the fact that they’re insanely delicious:
- organic chicken is a great source of protein (bonus if you get pastured chicken from a local farm!)
- healthy fats and fiber from the avocado
- low-carb, paleo, gluten-free using Siete tortillas (my absolute favorite)
- Lots of antioxidants and nutrients from the tomatoes, cilantro, onions, romaine, and avocados
- another healthy dose of fat from grass-fed cheddar
- made from real, whole foods – the kind that fills you up with no additives, sketchy ingredients or otherwise processed garbage so common in food these days
Quick + Healthy Chicken Tacos
- 2 Siete almond flour tortillas see notes
- 1/2 chicken breast
- 1 tbsp avocado oil find here
- tsp garlic powder
- tsp cumin
- tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- 1 avocado
- shredded lettuce
- grass-fed cheddar to grate overtop
- Heat the avocado oil over medium heat.
- Dice the chicken and toss it in the garlic, cumin and chipotle powders. Add salt too.
- Cook until browned.
- Add chicken to two Siete tortillas.
- Grate some grass-fed cheddar overtop.
- Then add pico de gallo (I already had some made - always).
- Then add lettuce.
- Then top with avocado.