I’m Dani Andrews, Certified Nutrition Consultant (CNC), mom, health enthusiast and very opinionated person (VOP). After obtaining my nutrition certification in 2011, I started Ancestral Nutrition as a way to help people become the healthiest, happiest versions of themselves through real food, non-toxic living and an active, happy lifestyle.
I specialize in:
- gut health – testing, interpreting and determining how to best optimize gut health to improve mood, the immune system, skin, energy and so much more. There’s a reason all health starts in the gut!
- skin health – as a former acne sufferer (for 15 years!) I have extensive experience optimizing skin health from the inside out. This includes correcting nutrient deficiencies, cultivating gut health, supporting digestion and using the highest quality, non-toxic skincare and makeup to help you achieve gorgeous, glowing skin.
- mood health – growing up in an unsafe environment and surrounded by a significant amount of trauma (my parents were addicts), I have more experience than I’d like when it comes to managing anxiety! The gut is the second brain and when it comes to mood health, it’s absolutely essential to support the body and brain with the correct nutrients, natural and herbal supplements, exercise, expression and sleep! All of which I help with.
On Ancestral Nutrition, you’ll find:
Protein and meal replacement reviews – I’ve had hundreds of thousands of visitors read my reviews of popular meal replacement brands like Plexus, Isagenix and Herbalife. My goal is to help people decipher the truth behind the ingredients in these products and determined if they are worth people’s hard earned money (spoiler alert: they’re not!).
Reviews of skincare, essential oils and other multilevel marketing companies – whether it’s essential oils or shampoo, it seems there’s always someone trying to sell something (which I can respect). What I can’t respect is these companies using sketchy ingredients, charging a markup and scamming unsuspecting people out of their money.
Healthy gluten-free, paleo and real food recipes – I absolutely love cooking. On my site you’ll find tons of delicious recipes that will support your gut health, brain health and skin health! Real food doesn’t have to be bland or complicated.
- Health is a human right.
- Most chronic illnesses can be improved and even eliminated with a healthy diet.
- The foundation of a healthy, happy life is nutritious food.
- In food as medicine.
Fun facts about me:
- I am from Washington, DC but moved to Charleston, SC to be close to the beach.
- I have a musician husband, Scott and two sons – Everett (5) and Storm (3).
- My first was born at 23 weeks, which I detailed on the blog.
- I absolutely love to surf.
- My favorite bands include Death Cab For Cutie, Metric, Brand New, Kid Dynamite. And I listen to a LOT of rap and hip hop.
- Oysters, mussels and wild, local seafood are among my absolute FAVORITE foods.
- I LOVE food, wine, agriculture and how food is grown.
- I have been an environmental activist since I was 22 and connected hundreds of people with local farmers, farmers markets and taught them how to buy and purchase local food.
I received my certification in Clinical Nutrition from Blue Heron Academy of Healing Arts and Sciences in 2011. I have extensively studied the work of Dr. Mark Hyman and Dr. Daniel Amen. I have participated in programs and seminars by both covering topics including gut health, sleep, anxiety and depression, cognitive function and preventative healthcare. I have also studied the work of Dr. Weston A. Price and participated in programs conducted by the Weston A. Price Foundation. I have worked with hundreds of clients over the years, read thousands of health related books (I am an avid reader!) and have had millions of visitors to my website.
Some of my post popular articles:
Some of my most popular recipes: