I’m kind of in love with the white potato. It’s taken a lock of flack over the years; people said it was unhealthy, it didn’t have a good nutrient profile, that it would spike your blood sugar, that it wasn’t as healthy as a sweet potato. You can read my article on white versus sweet potatoes HERE.
But the humble white potato will always be my favorite. For all the guff its taken, most of it is unfounded. The white potato isn’t just delicious, it actually is a healthy food! It’s a vegetable after all. It comes from the earth, it has vitamins and minerals, and it’s pretty damn healthy if you’re not frying it in vegetable oil.
So I combined my two loves: the white potato and Mexican food. I don’t love corn, and I don’t eat corn. So corn chips were definitely out. And potatoes worked out beautifully. #taterwin
Primal Potato Nachos
- 2 potatoes peeled and sliced thin (you can use a mandolin, found HERE)
- 2 tbsp refined coconut oil has no coconut taste, found HERE
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1/2 cup grass-fed cheddar
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- dollop of sour cream
- Heat oven to 400.
- Toss the sliced potatoes with the melted coconut oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are crispy.
- Top with the cheese and put it back in the oven for 2 minutes.
- Top with shredded lettuce, pico and sour cream.