I love me some Mexican rice. When I was younger and would go to Mexican restaurants, I’d often just eat rice tacos. I’d just put rice in some tortillas and go to town. No wonder I had so many issues with my skin, digestion, mood, hormones and blood sugar! Hello, refined carbohydrates – I love you. I needed to discover cauliflower rice.
Now, when I make Mexican rice I often use white rice – and you can read my explanation for why I eat white rice and white it’s healthier than brown rice here. But now that I’m pregnant, I want to get all the nutrients I can. And let’s face it, cauliflower is a whole hell of a lot more nutrient dense than white rice.
Cauliflower has vitamin C, vitamin K, folate and a whole bunch of minerals. It’s low in carbohydrates, so the blood sugar doesn’t spike but remains stable. It’s anti-inflammatory, contains antioxidants, it’s a cruciferous veggie (which have been known to help fight cancer) and it’s easy to digest.
Plus, it tastes awesome and makes a great substitute for rice.
Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- 24 oz cauliflower rice I used two bags of Trader Joe's pre-riced cauli
- 8 oz can of tomatoes BPA-free, like this brand
- 2 tbsp avocado oil I get it here
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp garlic
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- optional: diced fresh jalapeno I added a whole one because I LOVE spice!
- salt and pepper
- Heat the avocado oil over medium to medium high heat.
- Add the onion and cook until soft.
- Add the cauliflower, letting it cook for about five minutes.
- Add the can of tomatoes and spices.
- Let it cook for another ten minutes or so, until the cauliflower has softened and absorbed the tomato juice.
- Add the cilantro and jalapeno at the end (if using).