I like pie. But honestly, I don’t love fruit pies.
Apple pie? Pass. Cherry pie? Gross.
I’m just not into them.
I do like chocolate pie. And vanilla pie. And I freaking love caramel.
So this little baby pie was born.
And it ended up being really good, mostly raw, and totally vegan. Which is surprising, because making a vegan pie was not at all my intention. Also if you consider honey an animal food, I guess it’s not vegan. But you could sub maple syrup.
Vanilla Pie with Caramel Pecan Topping
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 8 dates soaked overnight
- 2 cups cashews soaked overnight
- 1/2 cups honey
- 2-3 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- a little water to thin it out if necessary
- one batch of my caramel recipe
- 1-1.5 cups pecans
- Blend the almond flour and dates in a food processor.
- Press the crust evenly over a springform pan.
- In a Vitamix, blend all of the pie ingredients until smooth.
- Pour over the crust and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 3-4 hours.
- Make the caramel according to directions.
- Pour the caramel over the pie and top with the pecans.