The flavor of Szechuan (especially that famous sauce!) is so delicious. It’s flavorful and has just the right amount of kick. So naturally, I had to figure out how to produce it at home!
But what is the Szechuan flavor? According to WiseGeek:
Szechuan cuisine features flavors that are found in Szechuan beef. The Sichuan province in the west of China is the home of Szechuan food. Spiciness and rich flavor are hallmarks of Szechuan food, and it aims to bring together salty, bitter, sweet, sour, and pungent flavors.
Delicious. As a result, we all want to make this now. Right?
Szechuan Spicy Beef
- 4-6 oz flank steak
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large carrot peeled into strips using this
- 2 tbsp tamari or coconut aminos
- 1/2 tbsp minced or ground ginger
- 1 tbsp organic hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp chili paste
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Slice the carrots and steak into thin strips.
- Heat the oil over high and add the carrots and steak, let it get a little brown and crispy.
- Add the hoisin sauce, chili paste, and tamari or coconut aminos. Let it thicken for about a minute.
- Add the garlic and ginger. Stir and serve.