Making a roasted chicken and veggies on Sundays has become a tradition. It’s something I do every Sunday to prepare for the week and it’s a great way to meal prep quickly and easily without having to make a shit ton of food. It’s also really nice to have a bit of a Sunday ritual. I pop this bad boy in the oven, clean the house, light a pumpkin spice candle (I’m embracing the basic, ya’ll) and go on a walk or out to brunch with my husband and son. All while this sucker is roasting away.
It’s such an easy way to make a lot of healthy food. You can get SO many meals out of a roasted chicken. Take all the meat off and set it aside for the week. You guys – take my advice: make this chicken every week! One of the best things you can do for your healthy is to make majority of your own meals. This way you will know exactly what you’re eating and the quality of the food. It’s infinitely healthier to make your own meals! Plus it will save you so much money and time! Also, this chicken is super versatile.
From one chicken you can make:
- chicken tacos
- chicken salad
- an omelet with chicken
- chicken pasta (using gluten-free lentil pasta, my fave!)
- Indian chicken and rice
- chicken noodle soup (again, lentil pasta people, it’s my shit)
- chicken fried rice
- chicken tortilla soup
- chicken enchiladas
Making veggies with this is even easier – you’ve got roasted veggies to go along with your protein!
Feel free to mix up the veggies – you can add whatever you like. Here are some of my favorites to roast under a big ol’ chicken:
- butternut squash
- brussels sprouts
- green beans
It’s just an awesome way to meal prep and ensure that you always have some healthy protein at your disposal. This meal is gluten-free, healthy, low-carb, full of healthy fats, healthy carbs and healthy protein!
- 1 whole chicken
- 1/2 a head of cabbage, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 whole garlic cloves
- fresh thyme, rosemary and sage
- spray avocado oil
- salt and pepper
- optional: 1 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Toss the cabbage, carrots, onion, garlic and herbs in a pan or large cast iron skillet. Spray with avocado oil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spray avocado oil all over the chicken, add salt and pepper as well.
- Cook for about 1.5 or until chicken is cooked through.
- I take the chicken out to cool, then add the veggies to the stovetop with butter to get the nice and soft and delicious. It's amazing!