Sometimes my best dishes are born from no recipe, no plan, and going into the kitchen just knowing it’s 11am and I haven’t eaten yet and I’m freaking starving. Everything in my fridge looked amazing (went grocery shopping yesterday) including the cranberry sauce that’s still in there from Thanksgiving.
“Should I just eat the cranberry sauce by the spoonful?” I wondered.
But then I had some leftover hash browns. And I had bacon. And I really like spicy foods. And I had a jalapeño.
This sucker was being born. Mexican food is my favorite, so I decided to use those flavors. Coupled with the yolk porn you see above and below, it was pretty awesome.
Poached Eggs over Mexican Hash
- 1/2 cup potatoes sliced or diced (I used my food processor to make hash browns)
- 1 small jalapeño diced
- 2 pieces of pastured bacon diced
- 1/4 small red onion diced
- 1/2 tomato diced
- 4 small mushrooms sliced
- 2 egg
- First, fill a small pot with water and put it on the stove to simmer.
- Sautee the bacon until it releases most of its grease.
- Then add all of the hash ingredients, except the eggs.
- Once the water is simmering, crack one egg and drop it in. Leave it for three minutes and pluck it out.
- Repeat with the other egg and serve on top.