I eat tacos at least twice a week. These paleo steak tacos are one of my faves and it’s one I keep on repeat. At least a few times a week my husband will come home and say “What’s for dinner? Is it f*cking tacos again?!” Don’t worry – he’s just kidding. He loves tacos, even though he makes fun of the amount I consume.
Do you guys remember a few years ago when the taco diet was a thing? People were losing weight just eating tacos from Taco Bell of all places? TACO BELL. GRADE D MEAT. Meat that’s mostly made up of soy. Total garbage. But I thought to myself, this is a diet I can get on board with. Tacos all day? Sign me up!
I’m not sure how tacos originally got the reputation as being a less than healthy food, but they’re actually quite nutritious, especially if made properly. Always use a good tortilla, sprouted organic corn or these Siete tortilla shells, which are my absolute favorite. They’re grain-free, gluten-free, paleo and low carb. You can check them out HERE, but they’re much cheaper at your local health food store.
Choose a good protein for filling: grass-fed beef, wild seafood, pasture raised chicken – even eggs and make huevos rancheros for breakfast!
After that, just load it up with veggies. Pico de gallo, avocado, jalapenos, grilled peppers and onions and fermented spicy cabbage (rosetido) are some of my faves! You what you like and what you have. There is absolutely no need to over-complicate healthy eating. We’re talking tacos for God’s sake.
The other excellent aspect of tacos is that they’re so damn easy. This took me all of 20 minutes to put together. It’s an easy, healthy and quick dinner to get on the table. And it’s perfect if you have kids. What kind of kid (or adult) doesn’t like tacos?
- 3 Siete almond flour tortillas (HERE, or you can buy them in Whole Foods for cheaper than this)
- 1/4 lb grass-fed sirloin steak (or skirt, flank, etc) marinated in garlic, avocado oil, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper for at least an hour
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- 1/2 avocado
- fermented red cabbage - optional but amazing
- Heat the tortillas per package instructions.
- Cook steak to medium rare on grill or hot cast iron.
- Let it sit for five minutes.
- Layer on tcaos: steak, pico de gallo, avocado slices and fermented red cabbage.