This grain-free and refined sugar-free recipe for Paleo Pumpkin Pie is a healthy, yet impressive Thanksgiving dessert that is surprisingly easy to make!
Truth be told, I don’t love pumpkin pie.
I know, the horror.
Pumpkin Pie is an American classic, a Thanksgiving tradition, all of that. But I’d just much rather eat a chocolate cream pie, which is what I make for myself on Thanksgiving.
Yes, I make pumpkin pie for all the pumpkin lovers and make a chocolate pie basically for myself. Just kidding. Sort of.
But even I like this paleo pumpkin pie. I like the creaminess from the coconut milk, I like that it doesn’t taste like a bucket of sugar was added and overall I like knowing that I’m not going to develop diabetes from eating it.
Especially if I have more than one slice of Paleo Pumpkin Pie. Which, let’s be honest, I will.
Why this Paleo Pumpkin Pie recipe works:
- This almond flour pie crust recipe is buttery and flaky, and comes together within minutes! No resting, no blind baking!
- The paleo pumpkin pie filling is just sweet enough and the coconut milk adds an irresistible creaminess without feeling heavy.
- A mix of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice adds that bit of “autumn magic” we love about fall desserts.
Tips for making the perfect Paleo Pumpkin Pie:
- When buying canned pumpkin, make sure to check the nutrition label on the can. Go for organic and avoid “canned pumpkin pie mix” as it usually comes with added sugar, preservatives and all kinds of additives.
- Make your own pumpkin pie spice by mixing 1/4 cup of ground Ceylon cinnamon with 2 tablespoons of powdered ginger, 2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg, and 1 tsp ground cloves. Add another teaspoon of allspice, for more of a “kick”. Store in a small glass container.
- For a firmer pumpkin pie filling, use coconut sugar instead of raw honey. Note that this will make your filling darker.
- Use leftover pie filling to make crustless pumpkin pie muffins.
How to make Paleo Pumpkin Pie:
For a 9-inch pie dish:
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp butter (or coconut oil)
Combine all ingredients until smooth and a dough is formed. I like to blend in a food processor so it becomes very fine. Press evenly into a pie pan. No need to bake first.
- 1 can organic pumpkin
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup raw honey or for a firmer filling, try 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
Bake on 350 for about 50 minutes, or until the center is set.
Top with whipped cream!