When I was younger, my friend Jennifer’s parents would regularly order us Chinese food. I was obsessed with egg rolls. Sometimes I would just eat an egg roll (or a few!) for dinner. Jennifer and I had this really weird way of eating them in which we completely disassembled them. You ate the outside, then the inside.
Always dipped in that weird orange duck sauce.
At this point in my life, it’s been a solid four years since I’ve had Chinese food. So I have to settle for making my own Paleo Egg Roll in a Bowl, which I find tastes better anyway.
I got the idea for this Paleo Egg Roll recipe from a restaurant recently. They had an unstuffed egg roll option with rice and shrimp – I thought it was a great idea. You can add any protein you like, I used chicken.
Paleo Egg Roll In A Bowl
- 1 small head of cabbage chopped into slices
- 2 large carrots cut into long strips (using THIS)
- 1 tbsp unflavored coconut oil found HERE
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos found HERE
- 1 tbsp sesame oil found HERE
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 green onions diced for garnish
- Optional: protein of choice - chicken and shrimp are best. I used chicken. see notes
- Melt the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage.
- Add the carrot.
- Sautee until soft. If it gets too dry, add a little water and let it evaporate and help soften the veggies.
- Add the coconut aminos and sesame oil.
- Sautee some more until softer and the sauce is absorbed.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the green onions on top.