I am continually trying to create an awesome grain-free, sugar-free recipe for cinnamon rolls. I have the flavor down. I make the dough, I roll it out, I add the cinnamon and coconut sugar filling…and then I try to roll it up. This is where it always falls apart.
It’s easy to roll out a gluten-filled dough for cinnamon rolls because the gluten acts as a binder. When it comes to grain-free baking, this aspect is tough because it just doesn’t hold together like gluten. So Im’ still working on a recipe for the dough, but in the meantime, I’m in love with these cookies.
They taste exactly like a delicious cinnamon roll, just in cookie form. Because they’re cookies, they’re also way easier to make. This recipe makes about 16 cookies.
Paleo Cinnamon Roll Cookies
Paleo Cinnamon Roll Cookies are an easy to make and seriously deliciously gluten-free dessert! Perfect for Christmas or any other occasion that calls for a sweet cinnamon-scented treat!
- 1 cup arrowroot
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup grass-fed/full yogurt or coconut yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup walnuts chopped (optional)
- 8 oz organic cream cheese or coconut cream if you’re strict paleo
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the arrowroot, almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt.
- Then add the wet ingredients, eggs, yogurt and honey. If it’s too crumbly and dry, add a bit of water.
- Combine into a dough and add the walnuts.
- Roll into balls and pat down into a circle on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for ten minutes.
For the icing
- Combine the cream cheese and maple syrup in a food processor.
- Spoon onto the cookies.
Use flax eggs as a vegan substitution for eggs and use maple syrup instead of honey.
Serving: 1cookieCalories: 246kcalCarbohydrates: 29gProtein: 4gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 237mgPotassium: 100mgFiber: 2gSugar: 15gVitamin A: 305IUCalcium: 69mgIron: 0.7mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!