I am continually trying to create an awesome grain-free, sugar-free recipe for cinnamon rolls. I have the flavor down. I make the dough, I roll it out, I add the cinnamon and coconut sugar filling…and then I try to roll it up. This is where it always falls apart.
It’s easy to roll out a gluten-filled dough for cinnamon rolls because the gluten acts as a binder. When it comes to grain-free baking, this aspect is tough because it just doesn’t hold together like gluten. So Im’ still working on a recipe for the dough, but in the meantime, I’m in love with these cookies.
They taste exactly like a delicious cinnamon roll, just in cookie form. Because they’re cookies, they’re also way easier to make. This recipe makes about 16 cookies.
Paleo Cinnamon Roll Cookies
- 8 oz organic cream cheese or coconut cream if you’re strict paleo
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the arrowroot, almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt.
- Then add the wet ingredients, eggs, yogurt and honey. If it’s too crumbly and dry, add a bit of water.
- Combine into a dough and add the walnuts.
- Roll into balls and pat down into a circle on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for ten minutes.
For the icing
- Combine the cream cheese and maple syrup in a food processor.
- Spoon onto the cookies.