I am deeply in love with this paleo breakfast taco. It’s low-carb, healthy, gluten-free and DELICIOUS. It’s easy to throw together in the AM, it’s full of fiber, protein, probiotics healthy fats.
The protein is from the eggs. I used one in this picture but I recommend two. Eggs have 7 grams of protein each and don’t you dare throw out that yolk. The yolks also contain protein but more importantly, the contain choline, omega-3s and vitamins. They are SO much more nutrition than the whites. If anyone ever tells you to eat egg whites – run, do not walk, away from their shitty advice.
Avocados pack a healthy dose of fiber! In addition to being a healthy fat. Depending on the size, an avocado contains roughly 10 grams of fiber. That’s a lot of fiber!
The probiotics are from both the fermented spicy cabbage and the sour cream. God I love sour cream. If you’re stricly dairy-free, feel free to omit or use a coconut sour cream. I used organic, lactose-free sour cream I found at Whole Foods. Probiotics are crucial for gut health and also rich in digestive enzymes which help you both digest and absorb the nutrients in your food. You can find a Mexican flavored fermented cabbage at your local organic grocer or likely a farmers market.
And you get alllll the healthy fats from the eggs, sour cream and avocado.
So, these are all the things that make a delicious, healthy, filling paleo breakfast taco. Seriously, ditch the sugary oatmeal and cereals and coffee and low-fat foods. This breakfast is full of nutrients that will keep you satiated for hours and nourish your body!
Paleo Breakfast Taco
- 1 Siete almond flour tortilla warmed in a pan
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp fat of choice I used butter
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup pico de gallo
- 2 tbsp curtido a spicy, fermented cabbage
- cashew or coconut sour cream or grass-fed sour cream that's lactose-free
- salt and pepper
- Heat the tortilla over low heat. You can use an avocado oil spray in the pan.
- Melt your fat of choice of medium heat and cook your eggs - I like them over medium.
- Top the tortilla with the eggs, avocado, pico de gallo, curtido and sour cream.
- Salt and pepper to your liking.
- If you’re strictly dairy-free, feel free to omit or use a coconut sour cream. I used organic, lactose-free sour cream I found at Whole Foods.
- You can find a Mexican flavored fermented cabbage at your local organic grocer or likely a farmers market.