I know everyone is hating on new years resolutions this year, and I get it. If you’re going to make a change, just do it. Don’t wait for the new year. But I have a completely different perspective. I use the new year to check in with myself, evaluate the last year and think of the intentions and plans I want to set for the coming year.
I am a firm believer in living an intentional life. So many people go through life with no plans, no intentions and just coast through. That’s not my style. I’m a planner. I want to explore and savor life, I want to travel and have fun and have new experiences with my family.
And here’s the thing: these awesome experiences don’t just happen. We have to live an intentional life and plan them.
This is why I love planning, it makes life so much more fun and enjoyable. I highly recommend a good planner. Think about the things that bring you joy. Think about the things you want. Think of how you want to feel. Now make a succinct plan to get there.
I like to break my plans, goals and intentions into four distinct categories that all support one another. For example, I want to travel more this year. So I’m making a plan of places I want to go and how I’ll get there. I’ll need money to do that, so I have a plan to increase my income. I want to increase my blog traffic this year, so I have a plan to put out regular content. My goals and intentions support the overall happy, fulfilling life I want to live.
Check it out.
Strengthen my marriage
- Two dates nights a month
- Plan a local getaway, just the two of us
- Be more patient with Scott, I’m quick to snap
- Plan more events for us to go to, concerts, hockey games, etc.
Strengthen my friendships
- Start a book club with girlfriends
- Plan a monthly girls night out
- Meet various girlfriends for events, dinner, happy hour, etc
- Celebrate their birthdays, get them a little something
- Plan a trip to a winery
Plan more fun things as a family
- Trips to kid friendly museums and exhibits around the city
- Picnics in local parks
- Plan more play dates for the boys
- Family festivals, especially festivals with food and music (this will be easier in the spring and summer)
- Release an Ancestral Nutrition protein powder (this is already in the works!)
- Grow my Instagram to 20,000 followers
- Post at least once a day on Instagram
- Grow my traffic to 500k unique visitor
- Two blog posts a week
- Send out a weekly newsletter
- Los Angeles – we already have this trip planned
- Charleston, SC – a close and easy getaway, we can pretty easily plan this
- Tulum – this is a bit far fetched as it’s more difficult to travel with two kids internationally, but I think we can do it with some saving and planning!
- Utilize mint.com and budget – mint.com is an awesome resource for budgeting
- Put a significant portion of income into savings (I have a particular number but I think it may be weird to share it in such an open forum)
- Make six figures – I’ve done this in the past but then I had kids; blog consistently, grow traffic, put out good content to get there
- Be extremely mindful of my spending – do this by tracking all expenses using mint.com
So these are my 2019 goals, intentions and plans. What are yours? I’d love some inspo to add to mine!