Ya’ll. I love calamari. I especially love it when it’s breaded and fried. I do not, however, enjoy the deterioration of my stomach lining after eating calamari covered in wheat and fried in rancid vegetable oil. Which is why I can never order it at restaurants. But it’s super easy to make fried calamari that’s gluten-free, paleo, healthy and just as good (if not better) than any restaurant version.
Also – it’s like, really cheap. I bought about a quarter pound for under four dollars at Whole Foods. I made a lunch out of it for Scott and I and it was SUPER filling. Have you ever even thought to make your own calamari?
I hadn’t, until I saw it at the fish counter. How hard can it be? I thought.
Not hard at all. Seriously.
Stop buying calamari at restaurants. It’s way overpriced and seriously – the wheat + vegetable oil combo is one of the worst.
This recipe is actually good for your. Gluten-free, paleo, healthy fried calamari. How amazing is that? Lots of protein in the calamari and good fat from the coconut oil. Calamari also contains B2, B12, B3 and zinc. Don’t ignore your B vitamins you guys, they’re really excellent for maintaining a mood.
Here’s how to do it.
Step 1: cut the calamari into rings. No need for an egg, it’s wet enough to stick to the flour mixture. Coat each piece.
Step 2: melt a shit ton of refined coconut oil (it has no flavor) over medium to high heat. Make sure it’s nice and hot before adding the calamari. ALSO – use a pan bigger than the one shown. It took me FOREVER too cook all the calamari in this little guy.
Step 3: serve with Tessemae’s ranch (which is shown), marinara sauce, or my favorite: fancy sauce (aka ketchup mixed with mayonnaise).
Fried Calamari (Gluten-Free, Paleo, Healthy)
- 1 cup arrowroot flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 lb calamari cut into rings
- 1/2 to 1 cup refined coconut oil
- Combine the arrowroot, garlic, and paprika in a bowl.
- After the calamari is cut into rings, dredge each piece in the flour mixture.
- Heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- In a large pan, after it's definitely hot, add each piece of calamari.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Make sure your coconut oil is really hot before adding the calamari.
- Use a big pan - bigger than the one shown in the pics. It took me FOREVER to cook all the calamari in this little guy.