A few months ago, I had a miscarriage. It was particularly shocking and even a bit debilitating, because even though I now know they’re more common than any of us want to talk about, I had prepared for conception for a year prior to getting pregnant. I took the prenatals, I took the fish oil, I ate a nutrient dense diet. Sometimes, miscarriages just happen. No matter what you do right and no matter how much you’ve prepared your body for pregnancy.
Following the miscarriage, I knew I really wanted to step up my nutrition game. I always eat well, but I wanted to add something into my diet that really increased my daily nutrient intake. This smoothie packs a ton nutrients into one easy drink.
- Maca boosts fertility, balances hormones and strengthens egg health.
- Kefir is rich in beneficial probiotics.
- Egg yolks are high in omega-3s and vitamins A, E, D, K and choline (critical for pregnancy).
- Raspberries are a low sugar fruit that are high in fiber and antioxidants.
- Wheatgrass is high in antioxidants and very cleansing.
- Kale is high in folate and a ton of other vitamins and minerals.
- Bentonite clay binds to toxins as well as harmful bacteria and yeast, flushing them out of the body.
- Collagen is great for the gut, tendons, joints and bones as well as skin, hair and nails.
- This organic greens powder is loaded with vitamins, minerals, enzymes and probiotics.
- 1 cup organic raspberries
- 1-2 egg yolks from pastured, organic eggs
- 1 handful kale or spinach
- 1 cup raw grass-fed kefir
- 1 scoop wheatgrass
- 1 scoop greens powder
- 1 scoop collagen
- 1 tsp maca
- 1 tsp bentonite clay
optional add ons that I often throw in:
- lemon slices with peel
- raw honey if you'd like it sweeter
- Put all ingredients in a blender and mix on high until smooth.