This fancy caprese salad is gluten-free, low carb, super easy to make and such a crowd pleaser. Try it for your next cookout or dinner party!
I made this fancy caprese salad for our Father’s Day dinner. We had gone to a nice brunch earlier in the day and Scott actually told me this meal was better.
I made this salad, spaghetti with homemade sauce (his favorite) and grilled chicken and veggie skewers. I have to admit, it was a damn good dinner.
I prefer using buffalo mozzarella because not only is it incredibly creamy, it’s easier to digest than cow’s milk. I don’t have a dairy allergy, but with being celiac, I do have a more sensitive digestive system.
I actually gave up dairy for close to a year when I was pregnant and then nursing my son (he had terrible reflux). I thought it might also help my digestion, mood and skin but honestly I noticed no difference. And I missed cheese.
After I re-introduced cheese, I also felt fine. I didn’t break out or have an upset stomach, so this was a good indication that dairy and I are total pals. I just keep to grass-fed dairy and choose buffalo, sheep or goat milk cheese over cow.
You could also use a decent brand of paleo, dairy-free cheese in place of the buffalo mozzarella, like Mykonos brand. I haven’t had it but I hear they make pretty good vegan cheese.
Fancy Caprese Salad
- 1 large tomato
- 1 lagre ball of mozzarella (also called Ovoline, I used grass-fed buffalo milk mozz)
- 3 cups arugula
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped chives
- 1 tbsp balsamic glaze
- Chop the arugula into bite size pieces and arrange it flat on a nice plate.
- Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella into slices and alternately layer them on top of the arugula.
- Add the olive oil, basil and parlsey to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour on top of the tomato and mozzarella.
- Sprinkle the chives overtop.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze (I used the organic one from Whole Foods) over the entire salad.
- Top with sea salt and a little more olive oil if you like.