Yesterday I was craving a sweet treat and came up with these. I love vanilla and caramel flavors so I stuck with those, but if you like chocolate, I definitely suggest sprinkling chocolate chips on top of this.
This paired really nicely with Earl Grey tea, and they were super decadent.
Caramel Shortbread Squares
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut milk + 1 tbsp
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Combine the shortbread ingredients in a food processor. Blend for about a minute. You want the flour to be fine and completely incorporated.
- Butter a baking dish (or use coconut oil as I did).
- Press the shortbread down firmly and evenly.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- While it’s baking, combine the ingredients for the caramel in pot on medium-high heat.
- Continually stir with a wooden spoon.
- The mixture will thicken and become a dark brown. I took mine off a little too soon, it even lightened in color.
- Pour the caramel over the shortbread and let it cool in the fridge for about a half hour.