At the Super Bowl this past Sunday, something I truly don’t care about unless the Redskins are playing, we had some friends over. My friend Molly brought thick cut bacon from Whole Foods to crumble over some organic fries. She baked it in the oven and left me with a bunch of beautiful, beautiful bacon fat.
I know some people are going to think I’m crazy for recommending bacon fat mayo, but hear me out. Bacon actually isn’t highest in saturated fat (which is not bad for you, by the way) but in monounsaturated fat – like olive oil. Now, take a look at the ingredients in Hellman’s Mayo:
SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS, VINEGAR, SALT, SUGAR, LEMON JUICE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (USED TO PROTECT QUALITY), NATURAL FLAVORS. GLUTEN-FREE.
The very first ingredient is soybean oil, which is not only extremely unhealthy but from soy has been genetically modified and sprayed with RoundUp – the toxic weed killer. Not to mention that to extract oil from a soy bean, it undergoes extreme processing involving hexane – a neurotoxin.
And lastly, soy is extremely high in omega-6 fatty acids and extremely low in omega-3 fatty acids. This leads to a whole mess of issues, namely inflammation. Which is at the base of all disease, especially heart disease. So think about that the next time this rancid vegetable oil is touted as “heart healthy.” That shit is anything but.
Bacon Mayonnaise - BACONNAISE
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp already made mayo optional but helps it emulsify, I just use my last batch of homemade mayo
- 1 cup liquid room temperature bacon fat
- salt and pepper
- Add the egg yolks and 1 tbsp of mayo, if using, to a Vitamix or food processor.
- Turn it on low.
- You can either pour the bacon fat in SO, so slowly, or do what I did. I took a piece of plastic wrap, put it over the top of the Vitamix and pushed it down a bit so it wasn't flat so that it could hold the bacon fat in a well of sorts. Then I poked a small hole into it while the blender was on low. This allowed a very slow and steady stream of bacon fat.
- Let the bacon fat drip slowly into the egg mixture, this took about five minutes for me.
- Done! No whisking or slowly pouring in bacon fat for five whole minutes while your arm falls asleep.