If you’ve been reading my blog for more than a week or following my Facebook, you probably already know that I’m kind of obsessed with Greek food. No matter what, I know if I’m at a Greek restaurant I can eat well and the food will still be awesome. The Greeks love to use fresh ingredients, they cook with olive oil instead of disgusting, rancid vegetable oils, and it’s easy to order off of the menu without having to make substitutions.
I love Greek food so much that I’m even trying to go to Greece for my honeymoon. And while the beaches and culture and architecture are a big part of that… let’s be honest, the biggest part of wanting to go is so that I can eat at least half of the country. I have a normal appetite and don’t tend to overeat, but if we do go to Greece for the honeymoon, you can bet your boots I’ll be eating everything.
Greek Salad Recipe with homemade Gyro Meat
- 1/4 red onion sliced
- 1/2 head romaine chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/4 large cucumber diced
- 1/4 cup feta
- 2 tbsp olive oil you can find good, affordable olive oil HERE
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar I use THIS brand of red wine vinegar
- dash of dill find dill HERE
- dash of oregano find oregano HERE
- salt to taste I only use THIS salt
- pepper find pepper HERE
Homemade Gyro Meat:
- 1 lb lamb
- 1/4 red onion
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt find salt HERE
- pepper I use THIS pepper
- Just toss all the ingredients together. Yeah, it’s that easy. Now time for the meat!
- Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients in a food processor. This will help give it the consistency of real gyro meat. Form into a meatloaf, then bake for about an hour..
- Serve as is, or you can slice it and add it back into the oven for 10 minutes to crisp it up