Ground Beef Stroganoff
This ground beef stroganoff is a quick, cheap and easy meal thanks to swapping steak for ground beef! Plus it's paleo, whole30 and low-carb!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 16 oz button mushroom
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup beef or chicken bone broth
- 1 cup sour cream or coconut cream for Whole30
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp arrowroot flour
- a dash of dried oregano
- optional: mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower
Melt the ghee over medium high heat.
Add the mushroom, cook until browned and set aside.
Add the ground beef and onions.
Sautè until the beef is cooked through.
Drain the beef fat (I use a colander to do this, not because it's unhealthy but because we want a different taste).
Return the mushrooms, onions and beef to the pan.
Add the garlic, broth and sour cream.
Bring to a simmer and sprinkle the arrowroot over top. Then stir to thicken.
Add a sprinkle of oregano. Not too much, it just lends a really nice flavor.
Serve over mashed potatoes or mash cauliflower.
- If you're strict paleo, dairy-free or Whole30, make it with coconut cream or cashew cream instead of sour cream.
- I used a lactose-free sour cream, which I find easier on digestion. But use what you like!
- Arrowroot should be added at the end of cooking because it thickens quickly and can start to break back down and become watery if left over heat for an extended period of time